Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Intro

I've been wanting to document the progression of my BMW /2 conversion project, but it's taken me a little while to get organized.  Last November I bought a 1966 R50/2 roller with a 1974 R90/6 engine.  I named her Ava.  While some of the conversion had already been done (like the adapter plate for the final drive, the re-working of the seat mount, and a second petcock bung), she still needed a lot to be road worthy.

I had been looking for either a decent /2 roller to start a conversion project or a completed conversion for a couple years, but the completed bikes were outside of my price range and collecting all of the necessary parts was daunting.  Then I saw a craigslist add for this unfinished project - she was perfect.  She fit my budget, had all the major parts, and was within driving distance.  I like to build bikes rather than just ride them and I'm not sure how comfortable I would have been on someone else's completed custom bike. I'm so psyched about this bike - she's a keeper!

Here's how I bought her (this is a mock up, everything is finger tight)
She also came with lots of extra parts (including a Brock Downey swing arm and wheel, extra pipes and mufflers, a couple of Flander's sidestands, and an extra Earles fork)!

No comments:

Post a Comment