Monday, May 16, 2016

we're at 99%!

I am all but done with the project - I just ran out of time this weekend to finish up.




The wiring and cables are all installed and working properly (although I haven't tested the charging or ignition circuits).




I was originally going to use the stock points ignition so I had to make room for the Alpha electronic ignition but it worked out. In an ideal world I wouldn't want the ignition module under the tank, but space is limited. Likewise, I wouldn't want my reg/rec right behind the engine, but that's where it fit best.

I just have to fit the gas lines and line up the airbox snorkels - for some reason they're not lining up. I'm sure I put one of the boots on wrong or something. The petcocks should work, but I'll have angle them backwards, even on the right hand side.

I had to make about a 2" spacer to attach the horn so it cleared the front engine cover but didn't hit the front forks.

It turns out the /2 clutch cable has the same amount of exposed cable as the /6 cable, so I didn't have to cut it down like I thought I would. I used Tom Cutter's clutch cable instructions found here to adjust the cable. Ultimately, I used /2 brake and clutch cables since I'm using the /2 hand controls but I had to use /6 throttle cables so they would attach to the /6 carbs. I though I would have to modify one or more cables, but they all worked great.

I installed one of Vech's Brown style side stands. I had to heat it and bend it out a bit to get a better angle, but it seems to work well.

I got some stainless r69s mufflers from Keihan Systems in England. They were great to deal with and had my mufflers at my door in just over a week. I'm sure I'll never see my original mufflers from Epco - that was a very disappointing realization. Now we just have to get Keihan to start making conversion headers.

Hopefully my next post will be of a first start video!

No comments:

Post a Comment