Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Final Wiring Diagrams

Here are my final wiring diagrams that I used. Although they are fairly specific to my needs, they might be helpful to someone else. Wiring is oddly one of my favorite parts - I like the puzzle aspect to it. Feel free to post questions or comments regarding what I did.

I think most of it is fairly non-controversial, but I'll make 2 comments: (1) someone else might not have included all three relays on the same battery hot wire. My thought was that only one of the relays would be pulling current at a time since I'll start the bike with the lights off. Thus, I didn't think separate power wires were necessary; (2) Reg/rec instructions usually suggest that you hook up the wire that provides current from the reg/rec to the battery directly to the battery's positive terminal. I don't like to do that because I like a fuse between the battery and the reg/rec in case the reg/rec fails to do its job and causes a current spike that damages the battery. So that is why I attached the reg/rec feed wire after the fuse on the same wire that goes from the battery to the ignition switch. This leave my ignition switch unfused, but nothing else.

When I draw up my diagrams I like to put the components roughly in the spots where they are on the bike. Sometimes that creates some space issues, but by the time I realize it it's really to late to do anything about it. So, I'll live with my charging and ignition components kind of being scrunched up.




No comments:

Post a Comment